What is Non-Productive Capacity?

Non-Productive Capacity

Share This...

Non-Productive Capacity

Non-productive capacity refers to the part of a company’s production potential or capacity that is not currently being used for production. This can include machinery, facilities, or workers that are not being utilized to their full potential or are completely idle. It is also known as idle capacity or excess capacity.

There are a few reasons why a business might have non-productive capacity:

  • Seasonal Demand: Some businesses, such as holiday decorations or ice cream manufacturers, experience significant fluctuations in demand based on the season. During off-peak times, these businesses may have non-productive capacity.
  • Economic Downturns: During times of economic recession, demand for many products and services can decrease, which can lead to companies having non-productive capacity.
  • Inefficient Operations: If a company is not managed effectively, it might not utilize its resources efficiently, leading to non-productive capacity.
  • Overinvestment in Capacity: If a business overestimates future demand and invests heavily in production capacity, it may end up with non-productive capacity.

Non-productive capacity represents a cost to the business because it still incurs expenses (like maintenance costs, depreciation, or salaries) without generating any revenue. Therefore, businesses try to minimize non-productive capacity by improving their production planning and operational efficiency, adjusting capacity to match demand, and finding ways to utilize idle capacity, such as producing different goods or renting out their facilities.

Example of Non-Productive Capacity

Let’s consider a furniture manufacturing company as an example.

Imagine that this company has the capacity to produce 1,000 tables each month. This capacity includes all the necessary elements of production: factory space, machinery, raw materials, and labor.

Now, suppose that due to a downturn in the economy, the demand for tables drops significantly. The company now only receives orders for 700 tables each month. This means that the company’s production facilities, machinery, and workers are only being utilized 70% of the time. The remaining 30% would be considered non-productive capacity, as these resources are available but not being used.

In this situation, the company is still incurring costs for this non-productive capacity. For example, it still needs to maintain and depreciate its machinery, pay rent for its factory space, and pay wages to its employees. Because these costs are not contributing to the production of goods that can be sold for revenue, they represent an economic inefficiency.

To address this, the furniture company might look for ways to utilize its non-productive capacity. For instance, it could start producing a different product that’s in demand, like office desks for home offices. Alternatively, it could lease its excess capacity to another business. By doing so, the company could turn its non-productive capacity into productive capacity and generate additional revenue.

Other Posts You'll Like...

Want to Pass as Fast as Possible?

(and avoid failing sections?)

Watch one of our free "Study Hacks" trainings for a free walkthrough of the SuperfastCPA study methods that have helped so many candidates pass their sections faster and avoid failing scores...