fbpx

What is the Retention Ratio?

Retention Ratio

Share This...

Retention Ratio

The retention ratio, also known as the plowback ratio or retained earnings ratio, represents the proportion of net income that a company retains within the business, rather than distributing to its shareholders in the form of dividends. It measures a company’s ability or decision to reinvest its earnings for future growth.

The retention ratio can be calculated using the following formula:

Retention Ratio = Retained Earnings / Net Income

Or alternatively:

Retention Ratio = 1 − Payout Ratio

Where:

  • Retained Earnings is the portion of net income that is not distributed as dividends.
  • Net Income is the company’s total profit for a given period.
  • Payout Ratio is the proportion of earnings paid out as dividends to shareholders.

A higher retention ratio means that the company is retaining more of its earnings to reinvest or pay off debt, while a lower ratio indicates that more of the company’s earnings are being paid out as dividends. This ratio can provide insights into a company’s growth strategy. For example, a startup or a company in expansion mode may have a high retention ratio as they reinvest most, if not all, of their profits back into the business. On the other hand, a well-established company with stable earnings might have a lower retention ratio, as they may distribute a larger portion of their profits as dividends to shareholders.

Example of the Retention Ratio

Let’s use a hypothetical company, “TechPioneer Inc.,” to illustrate the retention ratio.

Scenario:

TechPioneer Inc. reported the following financial data for the year:

  • Net Income: $1,000,000
  • Dividends Paid to Shareholders: $300,000

To find out the retained earnings, we subtract the dividends from the net income:

Retained Earnings = Net Income − Dividends Paid

Retained Earnings = $1,000,000 – $300,000 = $700,000

Now, to calculate the retention ratio:

Retention Ratio = Retained Earnings / Net Income

Retention Ratio = $700,000 / $1,000,000 = 0.7

Converted to a percentage, TechPioneer Inc. has a retention ratio of 70%.

Interpretation:

In this example, TechPioneer Inc. retains 70% of its net income within the company and distributes the remaining 30% as dividends to its shareholders. This might suggest that TechPioneer is primarily focused on reinvesting its profits for future growth and expansion. Investors may interpret this high retention ratio as a sign that the company sees valuable opportunities for reinvestment, or it might simply be the company’s policy to keep a higher percentage of its earnings. As always, it’s essential to consider other financial metrics and qualitative factors when evaluating a company’s strategy and financial health.

Other Posts You'll Like...

Want to Pass as Fast as Possible?

(and avoid failing sections?)

Watch one of our free "Study Hacks" trainings for a free walkthrough of the SuperfastCPA study methods that have helped so many candidates pass their sections faster and avoid failing scores...