What is Coinsurance?


Share This...


Coinsurance is a cost-sharing arrangement between an insurance policyholder and the insurance company, where both parties share the responsibility for covering a portion of the insured expenses. It is commonly used in health insurance plans, property insurance, and other types of insurance policies.

In a coinsurance agreement, the policyholder is responsible for paying a specified percentage of the covered expenses, while the insurance company pays the remaining percentage. Coinsurance usually comes into effect after the policyholder has met their deductible, which is the initial amount that the policyholder must pay out-of-pocket before insurance coverage begins.

The purpose of coinsurance is to reduce the risk of moral hazard, which occurs when insured individuals or entities have less incentive to prevent losses or control costs because the insurance company bears most of the financial burden. By sharing the costs, coinsurance encourages policyholders to be more prudent and responsible with their healthcare or property management, as they also have a financial stake in the expenses.

For example, let’s say you have a health insurance plan with a $1,000 deductible and a 20% coinsurance rate. If you have medical expenses totaling $5,000, you would first pay the $1,000 deductible. After that, you would be responsible for 20% of the remaining $4,000 ($800), and the insurance company would cover the remaining 80% ($3,200). In this example, your total out-of-pocket expenses would be $1,800 ($1,000 deductible + $800 coinsurance).

Example of Coinsurance

Let’s consider a practical example involving a health insurance plan.

Suppose you have a health insurance plan with the following features:

  • Deductible: $1,000
  • Coinsurance: 30%
  • Out-of-pocket maximum: $5,000

Now, imagine that you require a surgery that costs $12,000. Here’s how the costs would be shared between you and your insurance company, based on the plan’s features:

  • Deductible: You would first pay the $1,000 deductible before your insurance starts covering the expenses. After paying the deductible, the remaining cost of the surgery is $11,000 ($12,000 – $1,000).
  • Coinsurance: With a 30% coinsurance rate, you are responsible for 30% of the remaining $11,000, while your insurance company covers the other 70%. Your share of the cost would be $3,300 (30% of $11,000), and your insurance company would pay $7,700 (70% of $11,000).
  • Out-of-pocket maximum: This is the maximum amount you are required to pay for covered healthcare expenses during a policy period. In this example, your out-of-pocket expenses are $4,300 ($1,000 deductible + $3,300 coinsurance), which is below the out-of-pocket maximum of $5,000. If you were to incur additional covered medical expenses during the same policy period, you would continue to pay the 30% coinsurance until you reached the out-of-pocket maximum. Once you reach the out-of-pocket maximum, your insurance company would cover 100% of your eligible medical expenses for the remainder of the policy period.

In this example, you can see how coinsurance works to share the cost of medical expenses between you and your insurance company after you’ve met your deductible. This cost-sharing mechanism helps encourage responsible healthcare usage and decision-making by the policyholder.

Other Posts You'll Like...

Want to Pass as Fast as Possible?

(and avoid failing sections?)

Watch one of our free "Study Hacks" trainings for a free walkthrough of the SuperfastCPA study methods that have helped so many candidates pass their sections faster and avoid failing scores...