What is an Upstream Merger?

Upstream Merger

Share This...

Upstream Merger

An upstream merger is a type of corporate merger or reorganization in which a subsidiary company merges into its parent company. In this arrangement, the subsidiary ceases to exist as a separate legal entity, and all of its assets and liabilities become part of the parent company. This is the opposite of a downstream merger, where a parent company merges into a subsidiary.

Upstream mergers may be undertaken for various reasons, including simplifying a corporate structure, achieving operational efficiencies, or optimizing tax considerations. Because the subsidiary is absorbed into the parent, the transaction generally results in streamlined administration and can reduce overhead costs related to operating two separate entities.

Here are some key points to consider regarding upstream mergers:

Tax Considerations

Tax implications of an upstream merger can be complex and may depend on jurisdiction, the specific assets and liabilities being transferred, and the way the merger is structured. It’s crucial for companies to consult tax advisors to understand the potential tax benefits or consequences.

Legal Requirements

Various legal formalities must be fulfilled for an upstream merger to take place, including board and shareholder approvals from both the parent and subsidiary. Depending on the jurisdiction, regulatory approvals may also be necessary.

Accounting and Reporting

The accounting for an upstream merger can be complex, particularly when consolidating financial statements. Since the parent already owns the subsidiary, the merger may not affect the parent’s balance sheet in the way a typical merger between unrelated companies would.


While the parent owns the majority or entirety of the subsidiary’s shares, the subsidiary may have minority shareholders or other stakeholders who have a vested interest in the merger. Their rights and interests must be carefully considered during the merger process.

Example of an Upstream Merger

Let’s consider a fictional example to better understand how an upstream merger might work.


  • ParentCo is a large multinational technology corporation.
  • SubsidiaryTech is a smaller technology firm that specializes in cybersecurity solutions and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of ParentCo.
  • Minority Shareholders: While ParentCo owns 90% of SubsidiaryTech, a small group of minority shareholders own the remaining 10%.


ParentCo wishes to fully integrate SubsidiaryTech’s cybersecurity technology into its broader technology suite. Additionally, ParentCo wants to simplify its corporate structure and operational overhead by eliminating the need to manage SubsidiaryTech as a separate entity.

Steps Taken:

  1. Board Approval: Both the boards of ParentCo and SubsidiaryTech approve the plan for an upstream merger.
  2. Shareholder Notification: Minority shareholders in SubsidiaryTech are notified and given the necessary information to vote on the merger.
  3. Regulatory Compliance: The companies ensure that all regulatory conditions and approvals are met, given that cybersecurity is a sensitive field.
  4. Shareholder Approval: Despite some initial resistance, minority shareholders eventually approve the merger after being offered a premium on their shares.
  5. Completion of Merger: SubsidiaryTech formally merges into ParentCo. All assets, liabilities, contracts, and intellectual property of SubsidiaryTech become part of ParentCo.
  6. Employee Transition: Employees of SubsidiaryTech become employees of ParentCo and start working on projects as part of the larger ParentCo team.


  • Simplified Corporate Structure: ParentCo no longer has to maintain separate accounts, governance structures, or compliance protocols for SubsidiaryTech.
  • Operational Efficiency: The cybersecurity technology is quickly integrated into ParentCo’s broader tech suite, improving its market offerings.
  • Cost Savings: Operational costs are reduced due to the elimination of duplicate departments such as HR, finance, and IT support for SubsidiaryTech.
  • Minority Shareholders: Those who held the remaining 10% of SubsidiaryTech are either cashed out or given shares of ParentCo as part of the merger agreement.

This is a simplified example but provides a concrete scenario of how an upstream merger could work and why a company might choose to undertake one.

Other Posts You'll Like...

Want to Pass as Fast as Possible?

(and avoid failing sections?)

Watch one of our free "Study Hacks" trainings for a free walkthrough of the SuperfastCPA study methods that have helped so many candidates pass their sections faster and avoid failing scores...