A Work Ticket, also commonly known as a job ticket, work order, or service ticket, is a formal, written instruction to initiate and document a specific job or task. It serves as a contractual agreement between the service provider and the customer, outlining the scope of work, the resources needed, the estimated time frame, and any other relevant details. Work tickets are widely used in various industries, from IT services and manufacturing to facility maintenance and customer support.
Elements of a Work Ticket
A standard work ticket might contain the following elements:
- Ticket ID or Number: Unique identifier for the work ticket.
- Date Issued: The date when the work ticket is created.
- Customer Information: Details such as the customer’s name, contact information, and address.
- Service Provider Information: Details about the individual or team responsible for completing the task.
- Problem Description: A detailed description of the problem or the work to be done.
- Scope of Work: A list of tasks or steps involved in the project or service.
- Required Resources: Details of any materials, tools, or personnel needed for the job.
- Estimated Time Frame: The expected start and completion dates.
- Cost Estimate: The estimated cost or rate for the service.
- Approval Signatures: Signatures from the relevant parties to confirm agreement on the scope of work and cost.
- Status Updates: Progress reports, changes, or any issues encountered during the work.
- Completion Details: Notes about the job’s completion, including any follow-up steps or additional recommendations.
Example of a Work Ticket
Below is a hypothetical example of a work ticket in the context of facility maintenance for a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) repair job.
Work Ticket: HVAC Repair
Ticket ID: #12587
Date Issued: September 12, 2023
Issued By: Facility Management Team, Green Office Building
Assigned To: ACME HVAC Services
- Building Name: Green Office Building
- Contact Person: Sarah Johnson, Facility Manager
- Contact Number: (555) 123-4567
- Location: Suite 501, 5th Floor
Service Provider Information
- Company: ACME HVAC Services
- Technician Assigned: Mike Williams
- Contact Number: (555) 987-6543
- HVAC system not providing sufficient cooling to Suite 501.
Scope of Work
- Conduct a comprehensive inspection of the HVAC system in Suite 501.
- Identify the issue causing insufficient cooling.
- Repair or replace faulty components.
- Test the system to ensure optimal performance.
- Provide a status report and recommendations for future maintenance.
- HVAC diagnostic tools
- Replacement parts (if needed)
- Minimum of two technicians for the job
Estimated Time Frame
- Start Date: September 13, 2023
- Estimated Completion: September 15, 2023
- Inspection fee: $100
- Labor cost: $75/hour (estimated 4-8 hours)
- Parts: To be determined after inspection
- Customer (Facility Manager): ___________
- Service Provider (ACME HVAC Services): ___________
- [ ] Inspection completed
- [ ] Issue identified
- [ ] Repairs initiated
- [ ] System tested
- [ ] Final report submitted
(To be filled upon job completion, detailing what was done, what parts were replaced, and any follow-up actions required.)
This work ticket example outlines what one might look like for an HVAC repair job. It includes key details such as the problem to be addressed, scope of work, estimated time and cost, and space for status updates and completion details. This helps to manage expectations for both the customer and service provider, ensures clarity in communication, and provides a record of the work that needs to be done.