A packing slip is a document that is included within a package and lists the items included in the shipment. It is used by companies to inform recipients about the package contents and to confirm the receipt of the items. While similar to an invoice, a packing slip doesn’t typically include financial information like prices or total cost; its main purpose is to provide information about what should be in the package.
The packing slip generally includes the following information:
- Seller Information: The name and contact information of the seller or shipper.
- Buyer Information: The name and contact information of the recipient or buyer.
- Order Information: Details such as the order number, date of the order, and date of shipment.
- Item Details: A list of each product being shipped, including item numbers, descriptions, and quantities.
- Package Details: Information about the package itself, such as the total weight and number of packages.
- Special Instructions: Any special instructions for the handling or delivery of the goods.
Packing slips are important for inventory control, both for the sender and the recipient. They allow the recipient to check that all ordered items were received, and they can also be used to resolve disputes about missing or incorrect items.
Example of a Packing Slip
Here is a simple example of a packing slip for a company called “GadgetPro” that sells electronics:
From: GadgetPro Inc. 100 Tech Drive San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
To: ABC Enterprises 200 Innovation Blvd. Austin, TX 78701 USA
Order Number: GP202377 Date of Shipment: July 26, 2023
- Item: Wireless Mouse (Model: GP-M001)
- Quantity: 5
- Item Number: M001
- Item: Bluetooth Keyboard (Model: GP-K002)
- Quantity: 5
- Item Number: K002
- Item: USB-C Cable (Model: GP-C003)
- Quantity: 10
- Item Number: C003
Total Quantity of Items: 20
Number of Packages: 2
Total Weight: 15 lbs
Special Instructions: Handle with care – Fragile Electronics
This example packing slip gives the recipient, ABC Enterprises, the ability to verify that all the ordered items are included in the package and in the right quantities. It also provides a reference for the sender, GadgetPro Inc., to address any potential issues or discrepancies about the shipment.